2017 ADEA/AAL Institute for Teaching and Learning (ITL)
Dates: Aug 17-Oct 21, 2017
Venue: Two three-day phases at the Georgia Tech Hotel and Conference Center
Location: Atlanta, GA
Online Registration is currently closed for this event.
The Institute for
Teaching and Learning (ITL) is the premier teacher training program for full-
and part-time health professions educators and private practitioners embarking
on a new career in academia.
Phase 1: August 17 – 19, 2017, 8 a.m. – 4 p.m. each day
Phase 2: October 16 – 18, 2017, 8 a.m. – 4 p.m. each day
The overall program goal is to help participants, designated as ITL Scholars, refine teaching skills that will enhance the quality of their interactions with students and develop other skills that will facilitate confidence, job satisfaction and professional growth in the academic
The ITL program (two-phase, 6 days, with distance education module between phases) allows Scholars to explore the themes listed below. The curriculum is designed to enable ITL Scholars to have learning experiences and attain specific learning objectives identified for each theme.
- Critical thinking and evidence-based practices
- Instructional course design
- Effective clinical teaching strategies
- Teaching & feedback styles
- Working effectively with students facing challenges
- Motivational interviews in the clinic/community
- The effective preceptor
- Active learning: CBL, PBL, flipped classroom
- Enhancing learning environments to maximize student motivation
- Assessing student learning outcomes
- Academic integrity and ethics
- Calibrating skill-based performance
The 2017 agendas are forthcoming; you can review the 2016
Phase 1 and
Phase 2 agendas.
| Until February 28, 2017 || $4,650 (no other discounts apply) |
| Beginning March 1, 2017 || $4,950 |
|Registration deadline: July 28, 2017|
Discounts are available for institutions that send two or more individuals to the ITL. Institutions receive the 10% discount off of $4,950 regular tuition when the following occurs:
- Notification of the intent to send multiple faculty is received in advance so AAL can provide the appropriate discount code.
- If the institution is paying, multiple attendees register at the same time indicating payment by the same institutional check, PO, or credit card.
- If each participant is paying individually, multiple attendees register at the same time and the discount will be divided evenly between the participants.
Alternatively, AAL alumni receive a 10% discount (cannot be combined with early-bird or group discounts).
Payment plans of 3 months are available to individuals paying their own tuition.
For discount codes, or if you have any questions, please contact AAL Director of Professional Development
Refund policy: View the
Hotel and Travel Information:
Participants or their institutions are responsible for lodging and transportation expenses. AAL has negotiated a special rate of $166/night plus tax for a guest room at the Georgia Tech Hotel. The hotel booking deadline is July 25, 2017.
Upon registration, out-of-town participants will receive access to an online hotel booking system and will receive recommendations about ground transportation to and from the airport. The Georgia Tech Hotel also offers secure, onsite parking for a daily fee.
The American Dental Education Association is an ADA CERP Recognized Provider. ADA CERP is a service of the American Dental Association to assist dental professionals in identifying quality providers of continuing dental education. ADA CERP does not approve or endorse individual courses or
instructors, nor does it imply acceptance of credit hours by boards of dentistry.
ADEA designates the ITL program for 50 continuing education credits. This continuing education activity has been planned and implemented in accordance with the standards of the ADA Continuing Education Recognition Program (ADA CERP) through joint efforts between American Dental Education Association (ADEA) and the Academy for Academic Leadership (AAL).
For Further Information:
Please visit AAL’s
website or contact AAL Director of Professional Development
Dr. Felicia Tucker-Lively.
Contact: Dr. Felicia Tucker-Lively